Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Meaning Behind Eyes of a Blue Dog

In class we were given a short story to read, and of course I was given probably the most confusing and longest story of all, Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Eyes of a Blue Dog.  In the beginning of the story, I found myself wondering what was happening.  The story just did not seem to make sense... The way Marquez linked the dream world to the real world seemed too abstract.  Marquez seemed to portray the dream world as a type of its own reality.  When I finished reading the story, I sat in my room looking at the wall wondering what had just happened.  Throughout the story, there were multiple references towards searching for each other outside of the bedroom, but the story never left the prison-like room he called a bedroom.  I read the story again after we gave our presentations just to see if the story made any more sense to me, and I still wonder why Marquez had the characters desire so much to make contact with each other, but have them never connect.  Marquez is mainly a magic realism writer, which most certainly shows in the short story, Eyes of a Blue Dog.  I believe that Marquez uses the two characters to show desire.  The two characters desire so desperately to meet and have physical contact with one another, but no matter how hard they try, the do not succeed.  This failure to make contact with each other shows how we are truly alone in life.  I also believe that the near empty bedroom in which they are trapped could represent the unconscious mind.  The two characters are trapped in a dream world and are not allowed to leave.  Dreams generally occur when we are asleep or when we are sleep deprived and are a result of our unconscious thought taking over.  The room is said to be all alone in a vast emptiness with nothing near it and the two characters can't escape, which sounds a lot like an unconscious mind to me.  The only reference to an outside world that is made is the statement that it smells of a farm outside of the room, this could be the mind thinking of past memories.  I still have not figured out why the story was centered on such useless items like the lamp and the pillow.  I do not know what they could symbolize other than something for the two characters to attach themselves to as a way to make them seem more concrete.  This story is one of the more confusing stories that I have read, and after reading it twice I still do not understand how someone can come up with a story like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment